A scrapbook of stuff I'm reading / looking at / listening to / thinking about...
Writing: it doesn't get any easier.
In his book, Don’t Get Too Comfortable, Rakoff admits:
Writing is like pulling teeth.
From my dick.
In Half Empty, he talks about the necessary pain-in-the-ass of the first draft:
Writing—I can really only speak to writing here—always, always only starts out as shit: an infant of monstrous aspect; bawling, ugly, terrible, and it stays terrible for a long, long time (sometimes forever). Unlike cooking, for example, where largely edible, if raw, ingredients are assembled, cut, heated, and otherwise manipulated into something both digestible and palatable, writing is closer to having to reverse-engineer a meal out of rotten food.
He goes on to talk about the writer feeling a “constant beginner-hood” and how “mastery” in writing is elusive, as opposed to all other grownup tasks:
As a child, the distance between desire and execution was a maddeningly unbridgeable chasm. What the mind’s eye pictured and what the body could achieve were altogether different… but then hands grow from smudging little mitts into useful instruments… One progresses from novice to adept with a soothing reliability. Except for writing. Well into adulthood, writing has never gotten easier. It still only ever begins badly, and there are no guarantees that this is not the day when the jig is finally up.
Starting work on my third book, I’ve certainly felt this pang — isn’t this supposed to be easier than last time? Shouldn’t I fucking know how to do this by now?
I don’t know how to write. Which is unfortunate, as I do it for a living… I’ve written six books now, but instead of making it easier, it has complicated matters to the point of absurdity. I have no idea what I’m doing.
Filed under: not-knowing.
- sentientblueberry likes this
- theunemployedjournalist likes this
- platinum-geek likes this
- redzenradish likes this
- jonwilkening reblogged this from austinkleon
- nicolefenton likes this
- ononwriting reblogged this from austinkleon
- aaronburch likes this
- pepperywisdom likes this
- clear-sight reblogged this from jahloveangel
- jahloveangel reblogged this from austinkleon
- celestriakle reblogged this from austinkleon
- elizajunto likes this
- ink-and-rage reblogged this from austinkleon
- raradivalicious reblogged this from austinkleon and added:
- bernard likes this
- spensdavis likes this
- onceevilregal reblogged this from austinkleon
- fromfangirltofree reblogged this from thatfabulist
- roguemamabear likes this
- perpetually-ambivalent likes this
- algarot likes this
- eddietg reblogged this from austinkleon
- eddietg likes this
- thrashbash likes this
- kimbyfollows likes this
- flameysaur likes this
- thatfabulist reblogged this from austinkleon
- tbmimsthethird likes this
- viehfutter reblogged this from austinkleon and added:
- alyssabethancourt likes this
- trexcommentary reblogged this from austinkleon
- start-anywhere likes this
- whaticantfind likes this
- litelli180 reblogged this from austinkleon
- litelli180 likes this
- celiaelise likes this
- tanenbaum likes this
- lovelylulu reblogged this from brianmlatimer
- distractedbyshinyobjects likes this
- gottulastudios reblogged this from austinkleon and added:
- crowtendr likes this
- brainalbum likes this
- bryanfarris likes this
- probabilitiesofcircumstance likes this
- cosmicrubric reblogged this from austinkleon
- lokhkhee likes this
- kouyukki likes this
- dreamsofawanderingsoul likes this