A scrapbook of stuff I'm reading / looking at / listening to / thinking about...
Sign your work
My friend @wendymac posted this on Twitter:
I don’t want to include my signature in my drawings, but lack of attribution is out of control. Someone please invent a new watermark.
Most artists online share her frustration: you want your work to be easily copied and blogged and tumbled, you want to get credit for your work, but you don’t want to dick up your art.
Artfully embedding some kind of identification within the image itself is the only real option. (I don’t think I’ve ever seen an artful watermark.) Luckily, artists have been artfully embedding an identification mark in their images for quite some time: it’s called a signature.
I particularly like Saul Steinberg’s:
Etc. Even photographers can do it — look how beautiful Allen Ginsberg’s handwriting looks underneath this photo:
You might even want to go one further and figure out how to embed your web address or your Twitter handle. I talk about that more here.
(BTW, you don’t have to sign the actual work — just Photoshop it in.)
None of this will keep people from altering the image or cropping off the signatures to actively steal your images, but in my experience, most misattribution online is the result of laziness, not malice.
You’re artists, man — make it subtle, but effective!
- tierradelpedro likes this
- hanguyenf likes this
- razorberries likes this
- flumpf reblogged this from austinkleon
- brandoseven likes this
- ganyemede reblogged this from austinkleon
- lindawinder likes this
- missxx reblogged this from austinkleon
- missxx likes this
- hishap reblogged this from thismaniacsinlovewithyou
- bloodredfreedom likes this
- energio likes this
- suziechaney likes this
- mclaughlinlives likes this
- hardlikealgebra likes this
- thismaniacsinlovewithyou reblogged this from austinkleon
- thismaniacsinlovewithyou likes this
- skwacy likes this
- dedennehime reblogged this from austinkleon
- dedennehime likes this
- hazel likes this
- sugarandspicer likes this
- hannamyers likes this
- rickyvigil likes this
- preposterouspondering likes this
- timmcfarlane reblogged this from austinkleon
- cosmicfishies likes this
- jenmontes likes this
- zolatori likes this
- winstonchan likes this
- classypublic likes this
- flumpf likes this
- skolebrod likes this
- geekphilosopher likes this
- largeheartedboy likes this
- figgdimension likes this
- crookedorphan likes this
- justcleverorworse likes this
- inisfree likes this
- camadogato likes this
- unsunglory likes this
- jedsundwall likes this
- kissthiswhiskey likes this
- forfaithshesubstituteslife likes this
- madministry likes this
- samarov likes this
- wendymacnaughton said: yeah, but signatures are an aesthetic and conceptual choice, should not be a default.
- tomorrowsghosts likes this
- tiredexplorer likes this
- cobijitas likes this