A scrapbook of stuff I'm reading / looking at / listening to / thinking about...
Posts tagged "my listening year 2013"
It almost seems hopelessly old-fashioned in this shuffle/streaming age to make a list of 10 albums, so I’ll balance that first off by starting out with a big Rdio playlist of songs I couldn’t stop playing, which is actually a much clearer picture of what I listened to this year, anyways:
OK, here are 10 albums I liked this year:
Did you know Phil Collins drums on this album? Enough said. (Ha!)
My buddy @jndevereux gave me a bunch of great reggae/dub to listen to this year and got me listening to Jamaican Gold on our local KOOP station. If you don’t think the melodica could ever be cool, Augustus will prove you wrong.
Saw these guys at SXSW and thought they were great. Dumb, fast, loud rock ‘n’ roll.
How did such a goofy-looking group of motherfuckers make probably the best album of the year?
More loud rock ‘n’ roll. Blasted this album while driving around Denton, Texas, getting stuff together for my art show earlier this year.
My go-to dishwashing-with-headphones-on music.
Here’s why this record is on this list.
I suppose some people might’ve thought this was just a tossed-off EP with only one actual song (Bird said he wrote the rest of the music as an intro/outro), but I loved it. Wish more artists would put out EPs with tight ideas like this.
How does he keep putting out such wonderful music? “Small Plane” is the best.
My “daddy’s gonna drive to Chipotle now” music.
10 (aw, heck, let’s make it 11) other albums I liked:
- Kanye West, Yeezus
- Arthur Russell, Another Thought
- My Bloody Valentine, MBV
- ESG, Come Away With ESG
- Haim, Days Are Gone
- Al Green, The Belle Album
- Elvis Costello & The Roots, Wise Up Ghost
- Kurt Vile, Wakin’ On A Pretty Daze
- Fleetwood Mac, Tusk
- D’Angelo, Voodoo
- Paul Simon, Graceland
Although, if I’m really being honest, my Last.FM top tracks chart paints the most accurate picture of what I listened to:
- Gene Chandler – Duke Of Earl
- The Tokens – The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh)
- Sesame Street – Do De Rubber Duck
- Caspar Babypants – Row Row Row Your Boat
- Sesame Street – Put Down The Duckie
- Harry Belafonte – Banana Boat Song (Day-O)
- Sesame Street – The Song of the Count
- The Muppets – Mah na mah na
- Feist – I Feel It All
- The Muppets – The Muppet Show Theme
Yes, I’m a dad. Sigh.